Difficulty: Easy. Prep Time: 15-20 minutes.
1 Large Yellow or White Onion – sliced
2 Cups Buttermilk
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp. Head Country Championship Seasoning: The Original (Go crazy with High Plains Heat Flavor for an extra kick) plus extra or seasoning to taste
1-2 quarts Cooking Oil (Such as Vegetable Oil)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Slice the onion very thin lengthwise with a sharp knife
2. Submerge onion slices in buttermilk in a shallow baking dish. Set aside.
3. Mix Flour and Head Country Seasoning in a separate baking dish. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep, heavy bottomed skillet to 375°F.
5. Take onions from the buttermilk and dredge in the flour/Head Country seasoning mix. For extra coating, repeat this process.
6. Working in batches, carefully place in heated oil until golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel lined plate. Season immediately to taste with salt, pepper, and/or additional Head County Championship Seasoning.