Ban dry, bland, and tasteless turkey forever. This recipe for how to cook a turkey breast in a slow cooker features our Apple Habanero BBQ sauce and calls for letting the bird roast in your slow cooker, locking in big flavor and juices. A few minutes under the broiler, just before serving, crisps the skin. Don't fear the habanero here. With this sauce, we give you all the peppery flavor without going overboard on the heat.
Southern favorites, kitchen tips, and glimpses of real life as a wife and mother are just a few of the things you will find at The Speedy Spatula. When Amy is not in the kitchen creating a new recipe you can find her in the outdoors enjoying nature with her husband and son. Inspired by a long line of family cooks, Amy takes Southern favorites and makes them fast, healthier, and easy for the modern cook. Follow The Speedy Spatula on Instagram where a new recipe is posted daily!VISIT THE SPEEDY SPATULA'S INSTAGRAM
3lbs boneless turkey breast, thawed
4 carrots, peeled
1 apple, cut into fourths
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. dried basil flakes
1 tsp. fresh minced garlic
1 tsp. fresh parsley leaves
1 C. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 C. Head Country Apple Habanero Bar-B-Q Sauce, plus more for serving
Popping a boneless turkey breast in your slow cooker makes holiday meals a cinch. Here are a few of our favorite pointers for letting the slow cooker handle the bird:
1. Be sure to thaw frozen boneless turkey breasts completely before cooking. Move turkey from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw, and do it 48-36 hours before cook time.
2. The fresh vegetables in this recipe work as a trivet to hold the turkey off the bottom of the slow cooker. This keeps the turkey out of the fat and drippings that will drain off while cooking. Meanwhile, the veggies and fruit soak in the cooking juices of the turkey. If you don't want to share these bits with your guests, it's OK—we won't tell.
3. Using liquid when cooking turkey breast in the slow cooker helps to keep the meat moist and the flavor locked in. Adding butter and fresh, minced garlic to the stock helps take this recipe over the top.
4. Keep the slow cooker on low. Turn it to high and your risk overcooking (and drying out) your boneless turkey breast.
5. Don't skip the broiler—that is, unless you can pass on crispy turkey skin after smelling it slow-roast for hours. You can put your slow-cooker insert right into the oven for this step (NOT the whole slow cooker—JUST the ceramic insert).
6. Use fresh parsley here, if you can. Save some for just before serving the turkey. Chop finely and sprinkle over the turkey breasts for a bright, fresh presentation.
7. Here are our favorite boneless turkey breast presentation tips: First, start with a pretty platter. Slice the turkey breast into 1/2-inch thick slices and arrange on the platter. Drizzle turkey slices with more Apple Habanero sauce. Garnish the platter with sprigs of fresh rosemary and fresh cranberries.
FULL RECIPE: Slow Cooker Boneless Turkey Breast with Apple Habanero Glaze
Place the carrots and apple in the bottom of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker.
Place the boneless turkey breast in the slow cooker, on top of the carrots and apple.
Season the turkey breast with garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, basil, thyme, sage, salt, rosemary, and fresh parsley.
Mix the chicken broth, butter, and minced garlic, heat until the butter is melted, then pour it into the slow cooker.
Pour the 1/2 C. of Head Country Apple Habanero Bar-B-Q Sauce over the turkey breast.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low 4 hours.
Once cooked, remove the lid from the slow cooker and place the porcelain insert in the oven.
Roast the turkey at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and place the turkey breast on a platter, slicing it into 1/2 inch thick pieces to serve.
Serve the sliced turkey topped with more Head Country Apple Habanero Bar-B-Q Sauce.